Publishing Design - Task 3: Book & VIDEO PUBLISHING
SHIMANLIN,(0375858)
Publishing Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Publishing Design - Task 3: Book & VIDEO PUBLISHING
TABLE OF CONTENTS
LECTURES
All lecture notes are in TASK 1
INSTRUCTIONS
TASK
TASK 3A:Book
After selecting the images, I created a moodboard.I divided these images into three color tones to match the book design I wanted to create.
Typesetting
Heading: Playfair Display (size 36pt)
Body text: ITC New Baskerville Std (size 8pt, leading 9.6pt)
Pullquote: Baskerville (size 8pt, leading 9.6pt)
Subtext: Baskerville (size 7 pt, leading 9.6pt)
Below are the dimensions I used in the layout.
Fig 1.1 Margins & Column settings
First attempt at layout
Fig 2.1 Trying out layout
Fig 2.2 First attempt Thumbnail of layout
Layout modification
At Mr. Vinod's suggestion, I deleted the extra title.
Fig 3.1 Modification Process
Fig 3.2 Modified Thumbnail
Layout Test: Front Page to Chapter 1
After confirming that the layout was feasible, I added the images.
Fig 4.2 Front Page to Chapter 1 Thumbnail (PDF)
Fig 4.2 Front Page to Chapter 1
Complete Book Layout Test
After confirming that the first page to the first chapter were correct, I
began working on the remaining parts of the book.
Fig 5.2 Complete Book Layout Thumbnail (PDF)
Black and White Book Printing
Fig 6.3 Inner Page Display
Fig 6.5 Inner Page Display
Fig 6.16 Inner Page Display
Fig 6.18 Inner Page Display
Layout modification
After Mr. Vinod reviewed the black and white edition, he told me that the
format of the content titles needed to be the same as the other titles, so I
made the changes.
Fig 7.1 Modification Process
Cover Design
Because the cover needs to be slightly larger than the inner pages, my cover
dimensions are 176mm x 246mm.
Fig 8.1 Process
Fig 8.2 Finished cover
First Color Book Printing Test
The cover size I initially chose was much larger than the inner pages.
Fig 9.1 Cover Dimension Overflow Preview
Mr.Vinod mentioned that the cover should be 'press' instead of
'print'.
Fig 9.2 Cover Showcase
Fig 9.3 Error correction section
Fig 9.4 Cover Showcase
Final Book Mockup
I changed 'print' to 'press'.
Fig 10.1 Correction 1
I adjusted the cover size to 172mm x 242mm.
Fig 10.2 Correction 2
Mr. Vinod demonstrated the proper methods for photographing our final book, including lighting, camera angle, and composition.
Fig 10.3 Photography Demonstration
Fig 10.3 Photography Experiment
TASK 3B: Video Publishing
Storyboard
Fig 11.1 Storyboard
I used the CapCut desktop client for editing.
First, I created the opening, including the book title and copyright
information.
Fig 11.2 Opening Creation
For the second section, I created a book-opening animation to introduce the
book’s content. I also used background color transitions to reflect the
changing seasons.
Fig 11.3 Production of Act 2
In the third section, I briefly introduced the book’s content and added frost
effects to better complement its seasonal theme.
Fig 11.4 Production of Act 3
Fig 11.5 Production of Act 4
FINAL SUBMISSION
TASK 3A: Book
Complete Book Layout
Fig 12.3 Complete Book Layout Thumbnail (PDF)
Fig 12.4 Complete Book Spreads (PDF)
Full book layout with cover
Fig 13.1 Full Book Layout With Cover Thumbnails (1)
Fig 13.2 Full Book Layout With Cover Thumbnails (2)
Fig 13.3 Full Book Layout With Cover Thumbnails (3)
Fig 13.4 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.6 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.7 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.8 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.9 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.10 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.11 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.12 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.13 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.14 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.15 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.16 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.17 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.18 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.19 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.20 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.21 Full Book Layout With Cover (JPG)
Fig 13.22 Full Book Layout With Cover Thumbnails(PDF)
Fig 13.23 Full Book Layout With Cover (PDF)
Final Book
Fig 14.6 Final Book
TASK 3B: Video Publishing
FEEDBACK
Week 6
Public holiday
Week 7
Specific feedback: Sir has helped me refine the layout from Page 1 to
the end of Chapter 1 and advised me to continue designing the
remaining pages based on the current layout.
Week 8
Specific feedback: This week was conducted online. I
presented the complete book thumbnail layout to Vinod
Sir, and he provided feedback on several details.
Week 9
Specific feedback: I printed out the black and white version of
the book, Sir advised that the 'content' format should be
consistent with the rest of the book.
Week 10
Specific feedback: I showed my cover design to Sir, and he said
it is acceptable.
Week 11
Specific feedback: I printed the color version of the book as a
first attempt, and Sir mentioned that the cover should be
'press' instead of 'print'.
Week 12
Specific feedback: I showed Mr. Vinod the promotional video I created for my book. After reviewing the video, he commented that the overall presentation was good and the video successfully showed the concept and visual style of the book.
REFLECTIONS
Experiences
The final stage of this project was mainly about bringing the book idea into a finished piece. I spent time checking the details of each page, making small adjustments to improve the overall flow, and preparing the final presentation materials. Besides the physical book, I also created a short promotional video to introduce the atmosphere and concept behind the publication.
Observations
During the final preparation, I noticed that the personality of the book becomes clearer when all elements work together. The images, typography, colours, and pacing need to support the same feeling rather than compete with each other. I also realised that showing a book through video requires a different approach because the audience only sees each scene for a short moment.
Findings
Working on this project changed my understanding of publication design. A successful book is not only about having well-designed pages, but also about creating a complete experience from viewing to holding the final product. The feedback and revisions throughout the process helped me become more aware of details and make more thoughtful design decisions.



























































Comments
Post a Comment